11 Insider Tips & Tricks on PPC for the Travel Industry

The difference between success and failure of PPC in the travel industry can be in knowing and leveraging the nuances of paid search. To help get you on the right track for paid search success – here are 11 tips and tricks savvy hospitality marketers love to use.

1. Track Your Competitors Behavior

While you are keeping track of what you are doing – also consistently keep on top of what your competitors are doing. Understand their:

  • Pricing
  • Promos
  • Ad copy
  • Landing pages
  • Keywords
  • Products and how they are different from yours
  •  Strengths and weaknesses of their website

2. Leverage Your Email List to Find Other Customers on Facebook

Once you have a better idea of your more lucrative audience types (or have an email list of 1000 – 5000 current customers), use Facebook lookalike audience technology to target individuals who have not engaged with you or may not be aware of your business.

facebook-audience.png

3. Use Small Geographic Areas and General Terms for Ads

Incorporate search terms such as “restaurant” or “lunch” in a very small search area (.6 miles from your location for Google Ads and 1 mile from your location for Facebook Ads) to attract customers nearby who may be unaware of your business. To further encourage people to try you out, provide an incentive like a free dessert or 15% off an entrée.

4. Use Data to Determine the Best Times of Day for Your Ads

Know the “timing” of your paid search efforts! Good data points to understand regarding timing are -  the season, month, day of the week or time of day your ads perform best. If you don’t have this information yet – run your ads until you do.

BONUS TIP: This data is especially useful because Google has schedule functionality that allows you to indicate when not to show your ads. This helps preserve budget for the most lucrative times.

5. Use Facebook Location and Audience Segmentation to Their Fullest

Leverage Facebook data to better target customers. For example, if you rent bicycles to tourists, serve Facebook ads to individuals within a mile of your business who indicate biking is one of their interests.

6. Set up Alerts

Make sure you know when you are running out of budget. Set up Google notifications to alert you when your pre-pay budget is running low.

7. Know the Tips on Great Ad Copy

Ad copy is critical! It must be relevant, ideally contain the words from the search query and be compelling in comparison to the competition. To help accomplish this:

  • Continually test different content to determine best performers
  • Include promos in your ad
  • Use the URL as another place to have the search query

8. Review Your Data on a Weekly Basis

If you are not analyzing the data of your campaigns, you are losing out on substantial information to continue to optimize your paid search dollars. Review this information weekly until you have a handle on it, then move to monthly reviews, if preferred.

9. Consider Seasonality

If your business is seasonal, set up different campaigns for each season’s offer to ensure your content is appropriate and your data is meaningful.

10. Give 50% of Your Budget to Mobile Ads

mobile-ads.png

According to CMO.com, mobile ad spend is currently at 49% of ads budget with the remaining 51% for desktop. However, the prediction is mobile spend will soon overtake desktop. Make sure you are focusing close to half of your ad spend budget towards mobile ads.

11. Remind Your Visitors about You When They are on Other Sites

Consider retargeting ads. Netaffinity estimates that 81% of bookings are abandoned. To help recapture these incomplete transactions consider retargeting. Retargeting allows you to serve an ad to that visitor when they are on a different site.

In the travel industry and looking for assistance with PPC? Contact Touristy your tourism marketing company.